In honour of International Women’s Month, we asked 10 women to share how acting has empowered them and how being a part of the HCAC family has changed their lives.
- “I’ve always had a creative side to me that I have never felt was fully explored through my professional career, and I was really drawn to wanting to tap into that. So I was inspired to look into acting classes to see if I can perform and learn the art of storytelling.”
— Lina Yeh, Digital Marketing at Essence Digital.
- “By learning about the human psyche and human emotions, the craft of acting allows me to create harmony in my own mind, body and spirit.”
— Nathalie van der Lende, Actress.
3. “Acting has helped me to be more understanding of others, to have more empathy by figuring out reasons to defend or give voice to a character that I’m not initially fond of.”
— Ana Sousa Gavin, Storyteller & Coach.
4. “Having things that you do outside of your full-time job is very important; it actually makes you better at your full-time job.”
— Hazel Savage, CEO & Co-Founder of Musiio.
5. “The various workshops I’ve attended have helped me gain a better understanding of the proper training required to be an actor. Before this, I was blindly auditioning here and there, without much success.”
— Pearl Lin Jin, Digital Marketing at General Assembly.
6. “I am so grateful to have acting as a part of my life. It has given me a heightened awareness of people, including myself, which has aided me greatly in daily interactions. It has also reminded me to live immensely with passion and motivation and to strive for the best while keeping in mind of the imperfection, that is us, as people.”
— Tanvi, Lifelong Learner / Self-Employed.
7. “HCAC classes provided me with different scenarios for me to play and push myself as a performer. I discovered a lot about myself and the people I work with in these classes, and the experiences helped me grow as a person.”
— Sasha M, Singer-Songwriter.
8. “Making my own show was one of the most scary, revealing things I did — and I really thank friends and family like Kamil and HCAC staff for turning this fear into bravery.”
— Amber Lin, Drama Student at University of the Arts London / Actress
9. “As my virgin spoken word performing experience, it was empowering to be able to deliver my story in my own way.”
— Joelle Cecilia, LASALLE Graduate.
10. “HCAC has been a space where I can work on performance, at my own pace and initiative. It is a place where I feel free and enthusiastic. This really helps in providing a sense of exploration in my life. Also, the people are awesome and studios are cosy!”
— Eng Kai Er, Independent Performing Artist.
Semester 3 Workshops Now Available! Join Our Family & Register Here:
Free Your Talent, It’s Time.