In October 2016, Deborah Emmanuel joins the HCAC family, teaching ‘Merging Disciplines: Writing, Performance & Music‘. As a writer, four-time TEDx speaker and performer, Deborah is no stranger to the world of stage and screen.
We ask her 10 questions, originally conceptualized by host Bernard Pivot from the French series “Bouillon de Culture” and made famous by James Lipton, host of “Inside the Actors Studio”.
1. What is your favorite word?
I like a lot of words, so many that it is hard to pick one as an absolute favourite. That being said, I’ve been using the phrase “I’m into it” a lot these days. I’m also into the word scintillating right now, maybe just for the next few hours though.
2. What is your least favorite word?
We just had a bunch of maggots hatch overnight and crawl all over our kitchen this morning. Right now my least favourite word is maggots. It’s never about the word, after all. It’s always how we interpret the word, the attachments we have and our associations which create meaning.
3. Name 3 films you think every actor should see.
The Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind, Trainspotting and Lost In Translation
4. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
The natural world always helps me to see beauty again. The persistence of inequality gives me a knotty feeling in my chest. Ignorance about its prevalence fires me up. I also really appreciate long, honest conversations and cuddles.
5. What turns you off?
Aggression and ego.
6. What is your favorite curse word?
7. What sound or noise do you hate?
Anything screechy makes me feel a bit weird. I wouldn’t use the word “hate”, it’s even more vulgar than “cunt” to me.
8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
Conservationist. Abuse shelterer. Dressmaker. Politician.
9. What profession would you not like to do?
Soldier. Mercenary. Factory farm worker. Traffic policeman.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
Heaven does not exist. I will not encourage the fallacy. This life is all we have to make it right.
Check out her next upcoming workshop starting 20 October 2016 to 8 December 2016 via this link.