Monday, 7.30pm — 10.30pm
20% Early-Bird Discount
For workshops starting in Jan 2020, enter “earlys1″ from 6 Nov 2019 to 16 Dec 2019.
30% Bundle Discount
25% for all workshops with HCAC Student Card (No Expiry) Apply here.
[Attend Method Productions shows] http://methodactingasia.com/events/
31 January 2020
Writing is rebellion. Performing it, is freedom.
The workshop will be a hands-on immersion into the simultaneously
meditational and visceral art form of spoken word.
A brief introduction will let us meander through genres such as hip-hop,
prose monologue, comedy, and traditional poetry reading. Spoken
word’s historical significance and it’s presence in popular culture will be
explored. Langston Hughes, Anis Mojgani, Gil-Scott Heron, Kendrick
Lamar and Beyoncé (yup) will feature.
They will be but cinders to creating your own fire. You will identify
themes you want to delve into, craft pieces, and perform them in three
very different real-world settings. We will battle demons, suture
wounds, walk in others’ shoes and get drunk on laughter.
Who is this workshop for?
This workshop for everyone – even if you’ve never written your own or performed spoken word.
Whether you are new to writing or performing or you’ve been doing it for a while and you want to hone your skills, this workshop is designed to be the launchpad for your spoken word journey. The minimum age for admission is 16.
Monday, Feb 3, 10, 17, 24
Work-in-Progress Showcase on March 1st
- Introduction to spoken word and genre appreciation
- Identifying themes and narratives
- Presenting truth with evocative imagery
- Workshopping poems
- Performing to an audience
- Students will learn strategies employed by contemporary spoken word performers.
- Students critically analyse their thoughts, and explore its text and subtext.
- Students discover writing techniques and tools such as metaphor, concrete language, rhythm, and verse
- Students understand power of presence, brevity, subtlety, repetition, breathing, pauses in a performance.
- Students will write and perform their pieces utilising self- reflexivity, art of revision and powerful delivery.
- Present intimate emotion aloud.
- Appreciate spoken word as a bridge between the personal and the universal.
- Stage confidence
31 January 2020