Tuesday, 7.00pm — 10.30pm
Once payment is successfully made, your slot is confirmed unless we email you to indicate.
A reminder email will be sent nearer to the workshop date to you to prepare for the workshop.
30% Bundle Discount
25% for all workshops with HCAC Student Card (No Expiry)
Only one discount code can be applied per order
[Attend our Pay-As-You-Wish & Ticketed shows]
Registration is closed.
Every Tuesday evening, 7.00pm – 10.30pm
Who is this workshop for?
Everyone. We welcome both actors and non-actors with an interest in the art of poetry writing/performance.
This workshop is open to anyone from all backgrounds.
Minimum age for admission is 13 and above.
About this workshop
Writing is rebellion. Performing it, is freedom.
The workshop will be a hands-on immersion into the simultaneously meditational and visceral art form of spoken word. You will meander through genres such as hip-hop, prose monologue, comedy, and traditional poetry reading, and explore spoken word’s historical significance and it’s presence in popular culture. Langston Hughes, Anis Mojgani, Gil-Scott Heron, Kendrick Lamar and Beyoncé (yup) will be featured in the workshop.
These names, and their craft, will be but cinders to creating your own fire. We will battle demons, suture wounds, walk in others’ shoes and get drunk on laughter. We will identify themes you want to delve into, craft pieces, and perform them in a real world reading.
Students will prepare to have public showcases on
– Sun 22 July 2018, 7.30pm at Haque Centre of Acting & Creativity
*There may be opportunities to showcase during Poetry Festival Singapore on Saturday, 28 July 2018.
Do I get a discount? Please refer to our early bird promotions.
- History and culture of Spoken Word Poetry
- Techniques in writing Spoken Word
- Writing prompts
- Identifying themes and narratives
- Presenting truth with evocative imagery
- Learn strategies employed by contemporary spoken word performers
- Critically analyse their thoughts, and explore its text and subtext
- Discover writing techniques and tools such as metaphor, concrete language, rhythm and verse
- Understand power of presence, brevity, subtlety, repetition, breathing, pauses in a performance
- Write and perform their pieces utilizing self-reflexivity, art of revision and powerful delivery
- Present intimate emotions aloud
- Appreciate Spoken Word as a bridge between the personal and universal
- Greater empathy to relate to those around you both personally and professionally
- Stage confidence
Registration is closed.