Saturday, 1:00 pm — 2:30 pm
30% Bundle Discount
Purchase any two 8-week workshops with the code “bundledeal”
Only one discount code can be applied per order
“Out of Stock” means the workshop is full.
Email us at email@example.com with your Name, Email & Contact Number to request to be on waiting list.
[Attend our Pay-As-You-Wish & Ticketed shows]
Saturday, 14 Oct 2017, by Desmond Kon Zhizheng-Mingdé
10am – 11.30am
1pm – 2.30pm
Saturday, 4 Nov 2017, by Eric Valles
1pm – 2.30pm
3pm – 4.30pm
Who is this workshop for?
Everyone. We welcome both actors and non-actors with an interest in the art of poetry writing/performance.
This workshop is open to anyone from all backgrounds.
Minimum age for admission is 13 and above.
About this workshop
How have poets engaged with their personal history, and rendered particular experiences through verse? How do trauma, testimony and longing find a voice through lyric and narrative? In this workshop, participants discover how poetry may offer a powerful means of healing, in excavating buried emotions and expressing them in crafted language. Indeed, the truth of experience may articulate itself through captivating image and sound. How does one also gain empathy through such art creation? The new poetic form, the anima methodi, will be introduced, with the search for contributions for an upcoming anthology. In looking to the lessons of the past, this workshop investigates how contemporary poets might at once celebrate the personal and voice the concerns of the present
Do I get a discount?
Please refer to our early bird promotions.
- Poetry of witness and trauma
- The anima methodi
- Writing prompts
- Identifying themes
- Presenting truth with evocative imagery
- Reading and performance
Desmond Kon Zhicheng-Mingdé is the author of an epistolary novel, two hybrid works, and nine poetry collections. A former journalist, he has edited more than fifteen books and co-produced three audio books. Among other accolades, Desmond is the recipient of the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Award, Independent Publisher Book Award, National Indie Excellence Book Award, Poetry World Cup, Singapore Literature Prize, two Beverly Hills International Book Awards, and three Living Now Book Awards. He helms Squircle Line Press as its founding editor.
- Explore powerful emotions and their expression as a means of managing them
- Use writing exercises to retell memories
- Discuss craft techniques in writing poetry
- Discover poetry as a means of healing and artistic practice
- Discovering the relevance of witness and trauma in poetry
- Discovering how emotions may be crafted into lyric and narrative
- Discovering a new poetic form
- Discovering empathy through poetry writing
- Discovering self-awareness and confidence through performance