Wednesday, 7.30pm — 10.30pm
Once payment is successfully made, your slot is confirmed unless we email you to indicate.
A reminder email will be sent nearer to the workshop date to you to prepare for the workshop.
25% for all workshops with HCAC Student Card (No Expiry)
Only one discount code can be applied per order
[Attend our Pay-As-You-Wish & Ticketed shows]
Registration is closed.
Who is this workshop for?
Everyone. We welcome both actors and non-actors with an interest in performing arts / improvisation / storytelling.
This workshop is open to anyone from all backgrounds.
Minimum age for admission is 16 and above.
How does Improv help in my life or work?
Read this Forbes article on how improvisation training help people in work and communication.
Read this article on how improvisation could just change your perspective.
About this workshop
With a focus on short form storytelling, the purpose of this course is to make the students proficient in the art of improvising short scenes as played in an improv match.
Every lesson will be structured in three parts :
- A brief introduction of the concepts that will be studied and what will be expected of the students in each exercise.
- Exercises – most of which will be systematically debriefed.
The course is essentially focused on Robert Gravel’s match format, Keith Johnstone style of improv and on understanding the codes of genres. The match format is both extremely fun and full of learnings. This format will teach the students how to avoid fear mechanisms and killing a story. The genres that will be explored include : action, drama, romantic comedy, spy movie, absurd theatre, Tennessee Williams, Shakespeare, etc.
Through the study of the match games, you will be able to understand the focus of any game and how to make it interesting for the audience. Also, the tremendous advantage of the match format is that it creates a team spirit. By the end of the course, the improvisers will be completely able to play a match in front of an audience which will be the final result of the course. Improvisers will be able to act both as a player or as the referee.
After the 8 weeks, competitive improv match team(s) will be formed, ready to take the stage.
Each semester culminates in a showcase of skills for the public.
Participants will be paid a percentage of the box office to incentivise professional work.
About the public showcase
It will be a Pay-As-You-Wish event.
Date: Friday, 23 June 2017, 8.00pm – 9.30pm (see event link here)
Do I get a discount?
Please refer to our early bird promotions.
Improv Alumni Members wishing to perform
Please contact us at email@example.com to express your interest!
Improvisation Students Alumni
Returning students of the workshop may sign up at 50% off at $200.00 if you have the
HCAC Student Membership card. Email us for discount code!
- Exercises on theatrical space, status and creative processes from personal truth
- Short, informal lectures on Improvisation
- Character and short scene work
- Mastery of a competitive improv format
Arnaud has worked with various coaches on various different improv formats for 8 years: from the very narrative style of Keith Johnstone to Del Close’s organic approach through to Viola Spolin’s games-based format. He has performed with a variety of different improv troupes in France, and in national and international festivals. Please also see this link.
- Introduction to the basics of creative scene work, spontaneous comedy and character development
- Reduce fear mechanisms
- Crafting interesting scenes and stories
- Creative collaboration and team work through improv team exercises
- Engaging an audience
- Greater awareness of the evolution and history of improv
- Form an ensemble to incubate for the international stage
- Think creatively and confidently under great pressure and limited time
- Understanding of the power of “group mind” and let go of inhibitions and commit to impulses
Registration is closed.