Wednesday, 7.30pm — 10.30pm
Once payment is successfully made, your slot is confirmed unless we email you to indicate.
A reminder email will be sent nearer to the workshop date to you to prepare for the workshop.
20% Early-bird Discount
April to May workshops! Enter ‘earlys3’ discount code by 23 Apr 2018.
30% Bundle Discount
25% for all workshops with HCAC Student Card (No Expiry)
Only one discount code can be applied per order
[Attend our Pay-As-You-Wish & Ticketed shows]
Registration is closed.
There will still be class on 18 October 2017 (Deepavali).
Who is this workshop for?
We welcome both actors and non-actors who want to go to the next level of improvisation and storytelling techniques.
Minimum age for admission is 16 and above.
Having already been initiated to the basics of improv or have attended Comedic Improvisation (Introduction) workshop.
How does Improv help in my life or work?
Improv will help you to understand what people want and how they want it. Basically, it will show you how to satisfy any kind of audience. To do that, we will work step by step on how to overcome your fear of improv so you can be quicker on your feet and have fun on stage.
With a focus on storytelling, the purpose of this course is to make the students proficient in the art of improvising short and long scenes within the format of their choice.
Every lesson will be structured in three parts :
- A brief introduction of the concepts that will be studied and what will be expected of the students in each exercise.
- Exercises – most of which will be systematically debriefed.
The course is essentially focused on Keith Johnstone style of improv and on understanding the codes of genres. The genres that will be explored include: action, drama, romantic comedy, spy movie, absurd theatre, Tennessee Williams, Shakespeare, etc. It will also give the students some storytelling tools like the hero’s journey or the three-act structure.
Through the study of the Johnstone system, you will be able to understand how to create a story and keep the interest for the audience. Also, you will get to prepare for a full directed show called the Maestro. By the end of the course, the improvisers will be completely able to play a Maestro in front of an audience which will be the final result of the course.
About this workshop
After the 8 weeks, a Maestro team will be formed, ready to take the stage.
Each semester culminates in a showcase of skills for the public.
Participants will be paid a percentage of the box office to incentivize professional work.
About the public showcase
It will be a Pay-As-You-Wish event.
Date: Friday, 20 October 2017, 8.00pm – 9.30pm
Do I get a discount? Please refer to our early bird promotions.
Improvisation Students Alumni
Returning students of the Comedic Improvisation (Intermediate) workshop may sign up at 50% off at $200.00 if you have the
HCAC Student Membership card. Email us for discount code.
- Exercises on storytelling, status and creative processes from personal truth
- Short, informal lectures on Improvisation
- Character and short scene work
- Mastery of a competitive improv format
Arnaud has worked with various coaches on various different improv formats for 8 years: from the very narrative style of Keith Johnstone to Del Close’s organic approach through to Viola Spolin’s games-based format. He has performed with a variety of different improv troupes in France, and in national and international festivals. Please also see this link.
- Study of advanced scene work, spontaneous comedy and character development
- Identifying and defusing the Fear Mechanisms
- Crafting interesting scenes and stories
- Creative collaboration and team work through improv team exercises
- Engaging an audience
- Mastery of an improv method
- Comedic timing and comedy writing process
- Think creatively and confidently under great pressure and limited time
- Understanding of the power of “group mind” and let go of inhibitions and commit to impulses
Registration is closed.