In just a few weeks, we will be welcoming award-winning performance artist and instructor, Scott Wings, to HCAC! Scott Wings will be heading the new Devised Theatre Masterclass: Suzuki & Viewpoints in July, where he will be instilling his theatre training in Suzuki and Veiwpoints methods. Wings has also trained in Japan with the longest running Butoh organization, Dairakudakan (Camel Battleship), in New York with SITI Company and in Australia with Zen Zen Zo Physical Theatre.
We ask him 10 questions originally conceptualized by host Bernard Pivot from the French series “Bouillon de Culture”, and made famous by James Lipton, host of “Inside the Actors Studio”.
1. If you were a colour, what would it be?
2. What is your favourite word?
It depends on the day, but today feels like a day for GRASP to be my favourite word.
3. What sound or noise do you hate?
Slurping food! (Although the Japanese seem to make it sound very cool to do with noodles… so you never can paint the world in love or hates).
4. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally?
Creatively I would say the magic of myth and fantasy, and how they paint the real world in metaphor. Spiritually I would say birds and flight are my spiritual connections. If I see an eagle I feel I am in the right place. Emotionally I would say a good hug, a caring touch, and empathy.
5. What turns you off?
6. What skill would you like to pick up in your life that you haven’t already?
Languages – Bahasa Malay, Japanese and Mandarin. I envy the skill of people in Singapore who know so many languages, while Australians have adopted a slang-filled English that is cryptic and strange in itself.
7. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
Anything to do with forestry destruction or squeezing boils. Same same.
9. What is that one thing that makes you smile whenever you think about it?
Picking flowers in a graveyard in Edinburgh, Scotland.
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?
“Does anyone know the wifi password?”.